- A large number of deaths are occurring in the city of Sydneysporadically
- Healthy people suddenly fall ill and die in a matter of days
- The Deaths seem to be more concentrated in the denser sectionsof the city
- The pattern of the deaths seems to be spreading out from thedocks
- There has been an outbreak of plague recently in Europe
- Sydney has a rat infestation because of poor sanitation. Therats are the vectors of the plague.
“"If you say in the first chapter that there is a rifle hanging on the wall, in the second or third chapter it absolutely must go off. If it's not going to be fired, it shouldn't be hanging there."
“Red herring is an idiomatic expression referring to therhetorical or literary tactic of diverting attention away from an item ofsignificance. For example, in mystery fiction, where the identity of a criminalis being sought, an innocent party may be purposefully cast in a guilty lightby the author through the employment of deceptive clues, false emphasis,"loaded" words or other descriptive tricks of the trade. The reader'ssuspicions are thus misdirected, allowing the true culprit to go (temporarilyat least) undetected. A false protagonist is another example of a red herring.”